Feb 13, 2011

This Weekend

Saturday afternoon my dear 6 year old and I ventured to our local fabric store, Verna's Fabrics in Mifflinburg, PA.  As soon as we walked through the door the owner started talking to my daughter.  She asked if she starting sewing yet then took a few 6" squares out of a bag full of scraps to show her.  She showed my daughter how we could cut the squares into smaller squares so she could make a quilt or pillow for her baby dolls.  My daughter had a smile on her face from ear to ear.  She then proceeded to give her the whole bag of fabrics!  
Verna, thank you so much for giving my daughter the inspiration to start sewing.!!  Your generosity was such pleasant surprise.  You are a wonderful woman.


This morning we went through all of the fabrics.  I asked her what she wanted to make first.  Her answer?  A quilt for one of her baby dolls.  She picked out the fabrics and I cut them into 2 1/2" squares.  She has hand sewn one row together so far.  I told her to take her time and work on it here and there.  I'll post her progress as she sews her first project, a baby doll quilt!  I'm such a proud mama!!
The reason for our trip to Verna's on Saturday was to buy fabric for a table runner I want to make for our dinning room table.  This is what we came home with.
Most of them are Moda Fabrics, which is one of my favorite fabric companies.  I am going to use this tutorial for my table runner.  This piece of Moda will be used for the backing. 

____________________________________________
Valentine's day is just around the corner.  Tonight we printed, cut, and addressed these cute little valentine's for my daughter's 1st grade class.
The kids put 20 heart candies in snack bags while I stapled them to the envelopes.  I think they ate 1 for every 3 they put in the bags :-)

1 comment:

  1. I just love this! Please keep us updated on the progress of her lovely baby doll quilt! I am so excited for her, I know you must be tickled pink! :) Thanks for the sweet comment on my heart muffin post over at http://www.homemakerinheels.com/ ! Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...